Google+

Friday, January 3, 2014

ORLY MatteFX Purple Velvet

Purchased Myself

I'm thinking of doing a Blue's post showing all of my blue nail polishes. I know that it's a popular tag on Instagram, and I have more blues then I thought I did. What do you think?!


I've figured out a way to do nail swatches on myself, unfortunately my nails are in a SAD state of affairs, so maybe I shouldn't do them on myself, until my hands are in better shape. Baha, What's done is done though! I'm also fiddling with hand poses, so please excuse randomness and possible shoddy-ness of the pictures.

ORLY MatteFX Purple Velvet is a deep purple matte polish. This DOES have very tiny micro shimmer in it, which you don't notice unless you really LOOK at it. 

I'm sure that you can tell that this nail polish does NOT self level.  Depending on the length of your nail you could possibly get away with one coat, I however used two coats. That is what I am more comfortable with.

\

And of course because I couldn't just leave it alone, I put a layer of top coat over it!

I actually kind of like this more with a top coat. I used Glisten & Glow HK Girl Top Coat and just look at that shine! Wowee!


My only issue with this polish is that it doesn't self level. I find with most matte polishes, they dry quickly and this was no exception. The entire mani from start to pictures was MAYBE 20 minutes, then it survived a shower as well. So kudos for this! Without the top coat though, I don't know if this would have lasted through the shower without chipping. 

You can find this polish for $8.99 at Sallys..BUT you may be able to find this on Clearance, that is how I got mine. 

What do you think? Top coat or no top coat?!

17 comments:

  1. I love how glossy that top coat is, and I do like the purple in that polish. I have to try this top coat, everyone raves about it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty! I'm always torn on matte polishes. They're so cool, but they chip so quickly, so I almost always use top coat. Defeats the purpose, I know :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a gorgeous gorgeous color. I love the look of matte, but matte scratches and knick so easily I can't get good wear out of them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm the same way! I typically put a top coat over matte polishes. I'll leave it matte for a few hours, then I'll just top coat it. No matter what I do, I can't keep polishes, especially mattes from chipping on me D:

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's amazing! I LOVE this polish, but I wish I could wear it longer without it chipping! The top coat, is really awesome! The only non-indie brand that I've tried that compares is ROCK which you can only find at Sallys.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It really is! I love matte polishes! I just hate the wear time, especially on me! Oh yeah! I had to re-paint my nails a few times before I did the pictures because there were knicks and scratches D:

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love purples!! this is a really pretty color. I like how it does look matte!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this color, and it looks great on you! :) After our convo about radiant orchid, I think this leans a bit too blue to be included, but I think I need to go find it anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love it matte and with a top coat, it's pretty either way! I LOVE purples too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you!!:D Yeah I want to find all of the polishes you showed in your posts, I don't have enough purple polishes. Yeah it does lean a bit too blue to be included!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is so pretty! And your nail shape is great! I definitely prefer it with topcoat and the accent rhinestone is a great touch!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you so much!! There was a smudge there and I didn't want to redo the entire nail!
    Aw thank you! Unfortunately I just had to cut them completely down because of an accident.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I had to trim mine down to nubbins last week because of a bad break. It made me very sad :(

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mine are super nubs unfortunately, I had to cut them so short that they actually hurt :(

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gorgeous polish! I love it matte! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's really gorgeous! I'm torn on which way I like it

    ReplyDelete
  17. it looks like a polish that my friend Teressa would wear! She loves purples!

    ReplyDelete